Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tater Tot Casserole (Healthy style) & Cream of Something Soup

First, I have to give honorable mention to my son, Josey. He is my Ninja guy. He loves to push the button & chop up stuff. He sits on the cabinet & waits patiently for me to get it all ready for him. So cute!

Ok, I am trying to clean out the freezer & use up what we have before I pack in more. Do you ever do that? Feel guilty because oh, hey, I have frozen veggies that I completely forgot about in the bottom of the freezer... oopsy! So, each day for dinner this week I am pulling a pack of meat out & putting it to use. Steak, chicken thighs, pork loin, & tonight was turkey burger. I am actually getting some extra space in there!

My dad is a sweet man who hunts for turkeys each fall & spring. Please, I apologize if I offend anyone for hunting,  but we were raised on a farm & you did what you can for food growing up. Plus, 1 turkey breast gave me 6 packages of turkey burger last spring (approximately 1 lb each, a savings of $2-4lb a pound). Plus it is all natural & organic - I assume so, but who knows what those turkeys are eating! ha ha!

So, out comes a bag of turkey burger, thawed & then cooked in the bean pot. Absolutely no grease & very little water was on my meat after cooking. I decided to bring out my stoneware bowl to bake the Tater Tot Casserole in - just because it will make a pretty picture!

Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet is where I pulled this recipe. I cut it in half because we don't need a 9x13 pan of Tater Tot Casserole. I also used my Cream of Something Soup mix - recipe will follow.



Tater Tot Casserole
1 lb lean ground beef 90% lean
1/2 lb extra lean ground turkey
1 pkg 16 oz frozen mixed veggies, thawed & drained (I cleaned up the partial packages of corn, peas & edamame beans, plus tossed in some fresh grated carrots)
3/4 c french fried onions (didn't have any)
1 can reduced fat, reduced sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
1 can reduced fat, reduced sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 c fat free milk
4 c frozen tater tots, thawed (oops, missed the thawed part)

In a large skillet, cook the beef & turkey over med heat till no longer pink. If you are using your bean pot, do not put it on the stove, but do cook w/ lid on 6 min per pound till no longer pink. In a 9x13 pan, coated w/ non stick spray, layer the meat mixture, veggies, & onions.

In a small bowl, combine soups, & milk, spread over onions. Top w/ tater tots. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 55-60 min or until golden brown.

8 servings
1 c= 340 calories, 14 g fat, 44 mg chol, 657 mg sodium, 33 g carb, 4 g fiber, 22g protein




Cream of Something Soup Do It Yourself Mix

I found a version of this on Pinterest, then a friend gave me her recipe.

4 c powdered milk
1 1/2 c cornstarch
1/2 c instant chicken boullion
4 tsp dried onion flakes
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried crushed basil
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix all together & keep in airtight container.

To use:
Mix 1/3 c mix w/ 1 1/4c cold water & 1/2 Tb butter. Heat over low in small saucepan till starts to thicken.

Cream of _________
Mushroom add 1/2c chopped mushrooms
celery: 1/2 c minced sauteed celery
potato: 1 c cooked diced potato
Chicken: 1/2 c cooked diced chicken (great if you have frozen your leftover cooked chicken in a pod)
broccoli: 1 c cooked, chopped broccoli

So, this month Tupperware is offering up their Freezer label & dispenser set for $15. I am loving this because I can write directions on my DIY mixes & adhere to the jar or container.




1 comment:

Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE said...

Your cream of "whatever" soup mix sounds great! I'm going to get some of this together in one of my Tupperware containers.