Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Bean Pot Burger, Breakfast Burritos, & Honey Garlic Pork Ribs

I have mentioned some of the wonderful things you can do w/ your bean pot. I could not ever go back to browning hamburger on the stove after I have done it in the bean pot. Why - the burger tends to break easier to smaller pieces, no large chunks, plus there is no chasing the burger around a skillet w/ little pieces flying out.

This is what I started w/ - 3 one pound packages of burger, 3 "pods" of frozen onions, & a bunch of grated carrots. By cooking multiple packages, it takes a bit longer than the 6 minutes per pound. But so worth it!! Why the carrots? Adds bulk, adds veggies that aren't going to be quite so obvious for the picky eater... Why Not?

Here is the outcome....



You will see there is some liquid in there. That is because of the lid being on, trapping any moisture from the onions (I freeze them w/ a little bit water to keep the grated onions together). Just use a slotted spoon to scoop into a ziploc bag. If you were going to continue using the burger in the bean pot, you can easily use a turkey baster to pull any grease or liquid off the meat.

Voila - that is why you need a bean pot!

Next UP...

Breakfast burrito mix....

This is not a true recipe - I just toss stuff in. You can find a recipe on pinterest if you really want one.
My version is this -

Brown a pound of breakfast sausage. Place in large bowl.

Add some extra olive oil to that sausage grease & fry up some hash browns. I used about 2 lbs, but that is what I had left in the bag from the previous batch. Scoop into large bowl w/ sausage.

I had some sliced ham that I put into the Ninja & essentially minced. Add to skillet.

Eggs- I used up the whole carton of eggs because we go thru alot of eggs in this house. I blend them up in my ninja food processor - the old one, not the new version you find at Sam's Club. Cook them up in the same skillet, with the ham. Add to the large bowl.

When all is in the large bowl, add some salt & pepper. Then add at least 2 c of grated cheddar cheese. I used prolly 3 cups - whatever fell out of the bag! I am technical like that.

So you have this huge bowl of yummy goodness -


I use a scoop & put into my Beaba multipurpose freezer trays - which are 1/3 c pods that I use ALL the time. Just ask my husband. I got them for baby food. They were the perfect size to freeze up individual portions of bananas & avacados, applesauce, mashed potatoes w/ carrots & parsnips... Now I use them for soups, grated onions, chicken broth, strawberries - whatever I want to save.



How cool is that? I pull one out each morning for Josey as he is my egg boy.

And now the big finally - Sorry, no pics on this one

Honey Garlic Pork Ribs (I used pork steak & cut the recipe in half)
Which you can do this in the bean pot if you are using a smaller portion

4 lbs pork spare ribs
1 c honey
1 c packed brown sugar
1/3 c soy sauce
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t ground ginger
1 tsp ground mustard

1) cut ribs into serving size; place in a large ziploc. Combine the remaining ingredients, pour half the marinade over the ribs.

2) Seal bag & turn to coat. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight, turning occassionally. Cover & refrigerate remaining marinade. Drain & discard marinade from ribs.

3) Place ribs on a rack in a greased shallow baking dish. Cover & bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr. Drain. Pour remaining marinade over ribs. Bake, uncovered, for 30-45 min or until meat is tender, brushing occasionally w/ pan juices. Since I used pork steak, I cut the cooking time to just 1 hr.

1 serving 799 calories, 43 g fat, 170 mg chol, 603 mg sodium, 62 g carb, 42 g protein

Did you notice the pics? I would like to know if you can make comments as I adjusted the settings. Please leave a comment as a test! Thanks!!

No comments: