Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tomato & Mascarpone Pasta

Since it is just the kids & I for a couple days, I don't want to make a real meal, or something complicated w/ lots of leftovers. I pulled out my Annabel Karmel First Meals cookbook which I used often in making baby food for the kids. It isn't just baby food, but it goes into toddler & finger foods too. 

And I just got my new Tupperware Pasta Maker that I HAD to try out! Which I love! 

So, Tomato & Mascarpone Pasta Sauce

1 TB olive oil
1 red onion, peeled & chopped (I pulled out one of my frozen pods of onion, but only used about half of is since I am not a huge onion fan). 
1 garlic clove, peeled & crushed
1 2/3 c tomato puree (Didn't have, so I used a can of Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup)
Pinch of Sugar
2 TB torn basil leaves or 1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 c mascarpone or cream cheese
salt & freshly ground pepper (ha!)

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan & saute onion & garlic for about 7-8 min. Stir in the tomato puree & sugar. (Why sugar - the sugar cuts the acidity of the tomato. I put sugar in all my tomato based sauces). Simmer 10 min, w/ lid on, stirring occasionally. 

Remove from heat, add the basil & blend in a food processor (nope, didn't do this, just added it in). Return to pan & add the mascarpone. Stir til melted & simmer 1-2 min. Season to taste. 



1) this is a simple simple recipe. Yes you can make it in the bean pot - but NOT on the stovetop - use your microwave. I would cut down the onion/garlic cook time to half & then cut the simmer tomato sauce time in half also. Essentially, you are heating up the soup & then adding the cream cheese - cut into smaller cubes to melt faster. You may need to return to the microwave for a minute or two after the cream cheese melts. 

2) This is a SOO YUMMY recipe!! I loved the way my sauce clung to the noodles. Not sure if that was because of the Tupperware pasta cooker or if it was the sauce. 

Which - did you notice you have pics!!! lol!


Ok, so my review of the pasta cooker - awesome! Didn't have to worry about it boiling over! There are portion markers on the inside of the dish to measure how much water you need to add after you have put in your pasta. Cook w/o lid in microwave. When done, you put the lid on, one side has slots so you can easily pour out the water. No extra colander needed. You can server directly from this dish & even store in this dish. To avoid discoloration, don't put your sauces in the dish. ON SALE this week only (ends tomorrow) for half price!! $14.50!! 


Gracie, of course, has not met a noodle (or noo noo) that she didn't like & cleaned her plate. Josey didn't want to eat dinner so he had his milk. I think he will be back for it later. 

No comments: