Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pork Chops w Scalloped Potatoes - Bean Pot


This recipe is from a Taste of Home cookbook 2nd edition. It is a recipe I have converted to bean pot because I usually make a smaller portion. Tonight I am using pork steaks instead of chops - same yummy pork.

While I am talking about meat - I get most of my meat from a hometown meat market called Western's Smokehouse in Greentop MO - my hometown. My dad grew up with the owner, Sam, who is passing on the tradition to his son & so forth. They have the most amazing smoked chicken & bacon, fresh cut beef, pork, make their own sausage (so much better than Jimmy Dean could dream of), and so much more. So if you are ever up in Kirksville, head a bit further north to Greentop & check them out. Their meat costs just about the same as HyVee, but much better. At one time when he was doing his own butchering, I could say I know the farmers that provided him the meat.

Ok, on to dinner. I had to make something for dinner, without any ideas, plus at 4pm I needed figure out something... It does take some prior planning since it takes almost 2 hrs to make. I put Cooper to peeling & slicing potatoes while I made the broth & browned the steaks. I did cut the steaks into smaller pieces to cook faster.

Pork Chops w/ Scalloped Potatoes
From Taste of Home 2nd edition (a skinny one from 1998?)
I love this recipe!!

3 TB butter
3 Tb flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can chicken broth
6 loin pork chops
2 Tb cooking oil
6 c thinly sliced peeled potatoes
1 med onion, sliced

In a saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour, salt & pepper. Add broth; cook & stir constantly until mixture boils. Cook for 1 minute; removed from the heat and set aside. In a skillet, brown pork chops in oil. Season to taste and add'l salt & pepper if you want. In a greased bean pot (or 9x13 pan if you haven't purchased your bean pot yet!) layer potatoes & onions. Pour broth mixture over. Place pork chops on top. Cover & bake 350 degrees for 1 hr. Uncover & bake 30 min longer till potatoes are tender. 
6 servings

No comments: