Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sweet Sloppy Joes, plus bonus Refrigerator Waffle recipe...


Why a Blog? Because - I have so many friends & family that love my recipe & have email folders with them clogging up their computer. Therefore, this way I can post my recipes - whether for a bean pot or not, and they just have to come to my blogspot & find their recipe. I even have trouble finding my recipes - I have been posting them since the kids were 9 months old... That is alot of food ya know! So, go ahead & join the group to make sure you get all my recipes.

Here is one of my favs,


Sweet Sloppy Joes in a Bean Pot
Adapted from Southern Living Cookbook
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 10 3/4 oz can tomato soup, undiluted
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 c ketchup
2 tb brown sugar
1 tb worcetershire sauce
1 tsp prepared mustard
1/8 tsp garlic powder


Brown burger, onions & green peppers in stack cooker in microwave, approx 8 minutes, stopping halfway thru to break up meat. Stir in soup and next 6 ingredients; Cook in microwave another 6 minutes, stirring halfway thru. 


My version-  I used venison (which means no draining grease), no onions or gr pepper. I didn't have tomato soup, so I used the larger can of tomato sauce w/ some tomato basil 
soup seasoning. This was great!


I love these waffles - I can use whole wheat flour in them. I can refrigerate the batter for up to a week, and my kids love them! I am a firm believer that all pancakes & waffles should have vanilla & cinnamon in them.

I have a couple sets of the Williams Sonoma pancake molds, at Christmas I decided I needed their pancake pencil - this contraption is a bottle w/ a lid & I can easily pour out my batter where it needs to go on the waffle iron or make shapes if I am making a batch of pancakes (the kids love silver dollar pancakes). With that said, I make up a batch of waffle batter & we have waffles for the week. Waffles are great snack foods in my house. We all munch on them all day long, cause even cold, they are yummy. After I bought the pancake pencil, I found on Pinterest you can repurpose a ketchup bottle into your pancake batter bottle - duh!

Refrigerated Waffle Batter
2 eggs
1 3/4 c milk
1/2 c veg oil
1 TB sugar
4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
splash of cinnamon
2 c flour
Beat eggs till fluffy, add in remaining ingredients. Spray waffle iron w/ non stick spray. Cook till golden brown.

Store in refrigerator for up to a week. I have a simple waffle iron for short flat waffles. My bestie - Angela, has a Belgian waffle maker. It was really good in her maker. We both got the Babycakes Waffle Stick maker & with this batter, to get a crisp waffle, you need to let it cook a bit longer. They tend to be floppy, not that it matters to my kids! :D 

Well, off to get ready for breakfast. Waffles do sound good, but we are going out of town for a couple days so I need to use up some things in the frig. Sounds like a bacon & biscuit kinda morning - with eggs from my petites casseroles! :D 

Have a great weekend - see you next week!

No comments: