Thursday, July 12, 2012

Veggie & Beef Stir Fry - Zucchini Recipe

My kids love love love rice. At any given night I can use leftover meat to make stir fry or fried rice. Of course, after all Asian recipes, you are hungry 5 min later. Lately Josey has been cranky about sitting down for a meal.

Last night we had a major melt down. Cooper & I ate, Gracie had a couple bites & Josey screamed his disapproval. I made the ultimate decision I needed a snowmonster from Andy's Custard instead of listening to him. We packed up and headed out to get some ice cream & visit the in laws. Wouldn't you know when we got back, Josey crawled up into his chair & ate his AND Gracie's plates of food. Didn't even touch his milk till he was done.

If you know Josey - he is a milk-aholic, serious addiction.... He is sweet kid when he wants Gracie's milk. He stands by it, looks around to see who is watching. If a parent is around, he will offer it to Gracie. If you give him the ok nod, he sucks like a maniac... So funny!!

So, with these zucchini - I am on a mission to use them. This recipe is also from the Fix It & Enjoy It Healthy Cookbook. That justifies the snowmonster for dessert - you should try it!

And the more you read my posts, you will find I change things in the recipe, or use substitutes...

Veggie & Beef Stir Fry


1/4 lb beef tenderloin (I used Pork) 
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped coarsely (used some from my frozen pods -ask me if I love Beaba)
1 sm zucchini, coarsely chopped
3 c coarsely chopped broccoli
half a small squash, you guessed it, chopped coarsely
1 tsp low sodium teriyaki sauce (I used hoisin sauce)


Cut beef into 1/4" wide strips.


In a good sized skillet, I love my Pampered Chef huge skillet, yes I am an infomercial for lots o' products, stir fry beef in olive oil just till no longer pink, about 2 min. 


Add onion & other veggies. Stir fry til tender crisp, about 5-7 min. 


Just before serving, add teriyaki sauce to beef & veggies. Serve w/ rice.


RICE: did you forget to make some rice ahead of time - no worries!! Use Minute Rice & cook it in your bean pot. Follow directions on box. I am the healthy type of person so I used brown Minute Rice. Love it!

Per serving w/ brown rice: calories 206; protein 11g; carb 30g; Total fat 5g; Sodium 80 mg; Fiber 4g.

There wasn't much left for leftovers, but it is a great way to use up leftovers. Tonight I need to do something w/ chicken thighs. We are going to adjust our eating time to later & maybe avoid Josey's meltdowns.

Have a great night!

b

No comments: