Saturday, July 21, 2012

Zucchini - Quick bread, yeast bread & some muffins

Happy weekend! It has been a long week - Cooper out of town, kids happy, grumpy, happy, grumpy... Just got back from doc to find out Gracie has a sore throat. That explains why today has been outrageous from start till now. I think they know I have a list full of things to do today. 


I was up at 530 & tried to grate my way thru a whole zucchini, but still have 1/3 of it to go - & it wasn't even a big zucchini. However, I found 2 new recipes that are awesome! One is a bread machine wheat bread & the other is a savory muffin. 


I will start w/ the quick bread - it is from my cousin's Project Graduation Cookbook Seniors 2002 (Still have it Morgan!) And this recipe is actually from one of their childhood friends - Jonathon.


Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
1 c oil
2 c sugar
2 c grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp soda
1 c nuts


Beat eggs, oil & sugar. Add all other items. Grease loaf pans. Makes 2 loaves. Bake for 1 hr at 325 degrees. 




Zucchini Wheat Bread


So, I was totally thinking quick bread recipe. It was 530am so I didn't really register yeast - duh... It is a soft wheat bread - I could barely see the zucchini. Josey loved it - he ate a whole slice himself. But he hasn't seen a piece of bread or cracker that he didn't like. 


Use this in your bread machine. My machine takes liquids first, then dry ingredients. But do as your machine requires. 


2 tsp or 1/2 pkg yeast
1 c bread flour
1 c whole wheat flour
2 T wheat germ
1 t grated orange rind
2 T honey
1 tsp salt
 2 T margarine or butter
1/2 c shredded zucchini
3/4 c water


Add all ingredients to the machine as required. Choose either regular or light crust. Push start. How simple is that!! :D






Now, on to the savory muffins - This is from the Taste of Home 2007 cookbook I got a long time ago from Sam's Club. I don't use it much, but pull it out every so often...


Baby Basil-Zucchini Muffins


2 1/2 c flour
1/4 c sugar
3 TB minced fresh basil or 1 TB dried basil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
3/4 c milk
2/3 c veg oil
2 c finely shredded peeled (oops missed that), zucchini, squeezed dry
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese


In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, basil, baking powder, salt & baking soda. Beat the eggs, milk & oil. Stir into dry ingredients just till moistened. Fold in zucchini. 


Fill greased mini muffin cups 2/3 cull. Sprinkle w/ cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 till done in middle. Cool 5 min before removing to wire rack. Serve warm. 


yield 4 1/2 dozen






Well, Cooper & I have a weekend w/o the kids planned so I need to get ready for Girls Night Out, pack stuff for the kids, pack our stuff, find time to shower (it is nasty hot out there today), and who knows what else is on my list!! 


Take care & have a great weekend. 

1 comment:

Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE said...

These look good. I'm going to have to try this one very soon. Good for you on "weekend without kids". I remember those didn't happen often.

And look at your followers - up to 55 now - worked out well I see!