Wednesday, September 5, 2012

DIY Instant Maple Oatmeal & Organizing a Lazy Susan

Happy Rainy Day - we have storms rolling thru as I write this up. I got up early to make more instant oatmeal - a staple for Gracie's breakfast. Josey is my breakfast burrito baby, Gracie will eat anything! :D

Of course, I found this recipe on Pinterest thru a friend of mine, Doris. I have adjusted it - alot to make it just right... If you want the original recipe, click here. This site has a TON of great DIY mixes.

The original recipe was too sweet - horribly sweet for my taste, Cooper's taste & Gracie's taste.

So, here is my version -

2 c quick oats, ground finely
2 c quick oats, whole
1/3-1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 TB maple flavoring
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg.
Combine brown sugar, flavoring, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg. Stir to combine well. Add in oats & ground oats. Place in your airtight Tupperware Modular Mate (mine is a super oval #2 & stays in my lazy susan)
To prepare: 2/3c oatmeal mix in bowl & add hot water til you get desired consistency. I personally make this easy for my husband & use 1 part oatmeal mix to 2 parts milk & microwave 2 min. Caution - it will be hot.


So, my whole reason to get into Tupperware was to get rid of my sad-ware & have a better organized pantry. I have slowly started picking up the modular mates for my pasta, for my oatmeal, & other large items that I want to stack & store.

Here is a pic of my lazy susan - not yet organized.

And here is a pic of me working on organization - we have quick oats, rice & chocolate chips. I buy the large bag of chocolate chips from Sam's Club, just in case there is ever a shortage. I like to be prepared! My husband thinks they are for cookies. He hasn't caught on that I haven't made chocolate chip cookies in a LONG time.

I do cut off the instructions from the box & tape to the lid or leave the rice sack in the container, just in case. I have also used these Modular Mates for my couscous (purchased several boxes cheap at Aldi's), have I posted that recipe yet? I need to, Josey loves his couscous.

The brilliant blue lid size is the super oval. The middle is the oval & the square is the square modular mate. I still have some work to do in my pantry, but we are getting there.

No comments: